On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lenn...@poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10.06.14 13:58, Mike Gilbert (flop...@gentoo.org) wrote:
>
>> > Symlinks should probably just be considered different type of file, that
>> > have a contents and stuff. The contents is usually a file name, and
>> > there's a size limit, but other than that it's just a magic kind of
>> > file, where the symlink destination is the conents. That's how git
>> > handles this, for example.
>> >
>> > I have the suspicion that this is really something to fix in your
>> > package manager. It should learn to handle symlink upgrades the same way
>> > as configuration file upgrades....
>>
>> The problem with installing these symlinks as part of a package is
>> that the user may have removed them from /etc/systemd using systemctl
>> disable. The next time they install systemd, the package puts the
>> symlinks right back.
>
> Again, that's exactly what happens for configuration files too if you
> use automake: on "make install" they are replaced by the original,
> upstream versions. Why is recreating the symlinks bad, if overriding the
> config files isn't?

People don't generally remove config files; they just make changes.

On the other hand, removing the symlinks would be a very typical
action due to the way systemctl disable works. There is some ambiguity
as to what a missing symlink means: did the sysadmin remove it, or did
it never exist in the first place?

If systemctl disable would do something like create a symlink to
/dev/null, that would be easier to detect.

I suppose we should implement something like Debian's conffiles to
protect file removals, but that's probably not going to be a very high
priority given the small number of packages for which it really
matters.