On Tue, 24.06.14 23:21, Susant Sahani (sus...@redhat.com) wrote:

This patch introduces tuntap support to networkd.

Example conf

file : tuntap.netdev

[NetDev]
Name=tuntap-test
Kind=tuntap

[TUNTAP]

Hm, maybe call this TunTap instead?

Mode=tap
OneQueue=true
MultiQueue=true
PacketInfo=true

I wonder if it might be better separate in Tun and in Tap devices. Tun devices
are IP only devices and Tap devices are actual Ethernet devices.

It looks a bit silly that you have to specific Kind=tuntap only to later
specific Mode=tap. Why not just do Kind=tap device? That under Linux the setup
of both Tun and Tap devices happens via /dev/net/tun is just an implementation
detail.

The intention behind keeping Kind=tuntap is related to the driver.
Kind - driver
Mode- how it behaves

. Of cource what you saying is correct implementation details
but  Kind is related to the driver.

I fully agree with Marcel. We shouldn't expose users too directly to
implementation details of the kernel. The fact that usually the "Kind"
maps to the low-level driver doesn't mean we have to map it always
1:1. In this case it really makes more sense to map one driver (tuntap)
into two different Kinds (tun + tap).

We can abstract that Agreed .

Susant