On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 02:33:19AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
> <casca...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > For network devices on the same PCI function, dev_id should not be used,
> > since its purpose is for IPv6 support on interfaces with the same MAC
> > address.
> >
> > The new dev_port sysfs attribute should be used when it is found. When
> > it is not, using dev_id might work.
>
> I don't see a problem switching this over, but why would we keep using
> dev_id if it is not the right thing to use?
>
> Kay

Because dev_port has only been introduced into Linux 3.15, and some
drivers used dev_id before Linux 3.10. It's not an ideal situation, so I
think it's important to keep some compatibility for the time being. Or
we could simply drop dev_id, and force everyone to do the right thing
and backport dev_port support and fix their drivers.

Cascardo.