On 08/07/2014 04:12 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>Perhaps understanding why you're allergic to the journal would help in
>figuring out solutions to the actual underlying problem.
There is nothing wrong with the journald per se, but it's not a replacement for
the classic syslog

Yes it is.

And there is a very much difference in using one of the traditional message printing APIs like syslog for logging as in doing this

#include <syslog.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
               { syslog(LOG_NOTICE, "Hello World");
                return 0;
}

Vs using the journal's native APIs as in this.

#include <systemd/sd-journal.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
               { sd_journal_print(LOG_NOTICE, "Hello World");
                return 0;
}

Arguably one of journals major/only shortcoming compared to what's out there is it's lack the ability to send syslog messages over the syslog network protocol but I think it's just a matter of time until it does, since it's arguably unavoidable ( think for example containers here and I would be amazed if submitted patches would be rejected that would add that )

But I guess you can hack yourself around that shortcoming by turning off persistent storage ( that is if you dont want to store logs as well on the host ) and run something like

journalctl  -o short -f  | nc <ip> -u 514 -w 1

that avoids the problem having two "loggers" running on the same host ( like using syslog-ng or rsyslog alongside journal ) to solve that particular problem.

JBG