On Thursday, 6. November 2014, 14:28:12 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Is "unattended-upgrades" a package of its own?

Yes, it's a separate package (although it's obviously closely coupled with
the apt package manager).

> If so, I'd probably ask the packagers to include drop-ins for
> reboot.target to override the timeout. That way, as soon as you install
> it the shutdown timeouts are disabled.

That should be possible. Currently the package contains
/lib/systemd/system/unattended-upgrades.service which contains:
> [Unit]
> Description=Unattended Upgrades
> DefaultDependencies=no
> Before=shutdown.target reboot.target halt.target
> Documentation=man:unattended-upgrade(8)
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> ExecStart=/usr/share/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrade-shutdown
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=shutdown.target

Only the maintainer Michael Vogt can decide if he wants to go in that
direction, thus I added him as CC.

@Michael Vogt:
The discussion is about adding a watchdog to systemd to power down the system
if the shutdown takes longer than some time (i.e. 30 minutes). The question
was how to avoid killing unattended-upgrade during a longer upgrade if it is
configured to update the packages at shutdown.

Kind regards
Patrick