Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 01:06:41PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> > Yes, that makes sense. What should a string representation of
>> > UNIT_FILE_ALSO be? I don't think that reporting 'also' would feel
>> > right.
> Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't be enough to report is as
> 'enabled'?

AFAIK, it can also be disabled... Take systemd-journal-gatewayd.service
as an example. It doesn't have anything but
"Also=systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket" in the Install section. If you
disable the socket, you would then return "enabled", which would be
wrong.

Howerever, I'm not sure about more complicated setups.

> For some units adding another name from Also= really enables the unit,
> and for other units the name from Also= is mostly cosmetic. What I'm
> trying to say is that having or not the Also= name enabled is only approximate
> information and does not always tell us if the unit will be started.
>
> I'd prefer to redefine enabled/disabled/static as "this unit has at
> least on of the declared links in the filesystem/the unit does not
> have any defined links in the filesystem/this unit does not declare
> any links in the filesystem", which is something that we can actually
> check.
>
> Zbyszek

Cheers,
--