On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 02:17:18PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Tomasz Torcz <to...@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 10:15:10AM +0530, Susant Sahani wrote:
> >> This patch integrates LLDP with networkd.
> >
> >   In Fedora, we already have LLDP receiver/broadcaster – ladvd.
> > It has this neat feature of abusing ifAlias by putting endpoint
> > name there.  This gives port information right at "ip l" output:
> >
> > 3: enp5s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state
> > UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
> >     link/ether 10:78:d2:cc:7e:b0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> >     alias connected to Core2-3b-24p (Fa0/7)
> >
> >   Would it be possible to implement this in networkd?
>
> Definitely possible. However, any suggestions on how to avoid stepping
> on the toes of other abusers of ifAlias, or is ladvd simply ignoring
> this?

  I've enabled it in Fedora's ladvd almost three years ago, and
received no bugreports about breaking any other software.

  ladvd does not take any special precautions. I think it would
be safe to refrained from changing ifAlias if:
  - ifAlias is already set, AND
  - it doesn't start with "connected to "

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox