Hello,

I'm currently in the process of adding a service file to GNU Emacs:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16507#26

The major point of discussion is how and where to install that file.  Systemd
has guidelines for system service files in daemon(7).  One could follow them
for user service files by simply replacing `systemdsystemunitdir' with
`systemduserunitdir'.  Which is basically what the patch does so far.  However
this would cause problems when (a) installing several versions of GNU Emacs in
parallel and (b) user installations.

(a) could be solved by applying `program_transform_name' (from autoconf's
AC_ARG_PROGRAM) to the service file name.  E.g., turning emacs.service into
emacs24.service.

I'm not sure how to solve (b).  For a system service it might not make sense
to install it somewhere outside of /usr (or /usr/local) and simply following
`systemdsystemunitdir' makes sense.  But for a user application like GNU Emacs
it should be possible to install it to any $prefix (e.g., ~/usr) without
requiring root access.  Right now, I'm thinking of either setting the default
to not install the service file or installing it to `datadir'.

What is the best practice for user unit files?  How are other projects
handling this?

Regards,
Rüdiger