On 12/18/2014 11:04 PM, Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 01:04:54PM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> [ .. ]

>>> O.k. So if we want to keep our current nonblocking behavior, we'll need
>>> more lockfiles, either one per path or one per wwid.  This still seems
>>> like a reasonable idea, if there is a good reason for systemd doing what
>>> it's doing.
>>>
>> The problem is as follows:
>>
>> When multipathd is running we simply _cannot_ guarantee that no udev
>> events are currently running. This currently hits us especially bad
>> during system startup when device probing is still running during
>> multipathd startup.
>> Multipathd will then enumerate all block devices to setup the
>> initial topology.
>> But in doing so it might trip over device which are still processed
>> by udev (or, worse still, _not yet_ processed by udev).
>> (Yes, I know, libudev_enumerate should protect against this.
>>  But it doesn't. )
>
> But we start waiting for events before the initial multipath device
> configuration, and don't process them until after that configuration
> is compelete, so if there is ever a case where the initial configuration
> is accessing the device to early, aren't we guaranteed to get an event
> afterwards, assuming that udev doesn't drop it?

That was the initial idea. Only it doesn't do it currently :-)

>> So it's anyone guess what'll happen now; either multipath trips over
>> the lock from udev when calling 'lock_multipath' (and consequently
>> failing to setup the multipath device), or udev
>> tripping over the lock from multipath and ignoring the event,
>> leaving us with a non-functioning device.
>
> But my point above is that if we use a lockfile instead of locking the
> path device itself, there won't be any lock contention, and udev won't
> drop the events.

The underlying issue here is:

Why does multipath lock the devices _at all_?
If it were to protect against device disappearing while doing the
ioctl that's already proven not to work.
And for protecting against mounts a simple open(O_EXCL) would be
sufficient. So whom are we fooling here?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                            zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                                   +49 911 74053 688