On Thu, 29.01.15 17:31, John Lane (syst...@jelmail.com) wrote:

> I am looking for some advice about configuring encrypted volumes with
> systemd that I want to open on demand (noauto).
>
> I can add entries into /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab for the device, for
> example
>
> # <name>       <device>
> <password>              <options>
> data        UUID=deadbeef....
> none                    noauto
>
> and

> /dev/mapper/data /home/myuser/data ext4 noauto 0 0
>
> But the device doesn't unlock when I do
>
> $ mount /home/myuser/data
> mount: special device /dev/mapper/keyring does not exist
>
> But it does if I use
>
> $ systemctl start home-myuser-data.mount

BTW, just to mention this. You can also just write:

# systemctl start /home/myuser/data

This will automatically be translated to
"home-myuser-data.mount". systemctl has some logic built in to
translate strings that don't look like unit names into unit names.

Essentially this hence means that this:

   a) mount /home/myuser/data
   b) systemctl start /home/myuser/data

However, the latter respects the whole systemde depency logic, while
the former just tries to mount the specified dir immediately, ignoring
all deps.