On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Ragnar Thomsen <rthoms...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> Does the user instance of systemd expose a dbus api?

Yes, that's what `systemctl` uses.

> If yes, how does one access it?

Much like the system instance – either over the DBus "user" bus, or over
the dedicated private socket ($XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/systemd/private).

~

Although, to have the "user" bus, you'll need to obtain user/dbus.service &
user/dbus.socket from somewhere.

They were added DBus 1.9 just a few weeks ago, but you can also get them
separately from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#D-Bus.

...and then you might (or might not, I forgot) need to point user@.service
at it:

# system/user@.service.d/bus.conf
[Service]
Environment=DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=kernel:path=/dev/kdbus/%I-user/bus;unix:path=/run/user/%I/bus

~

So you'll still need to use the private socket (at least as fallback), I
think.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <graw...@gmail.com>