On Thu, 14.05.15 17:13, Dimitri John Ledkov (dimitri.j.led...@intel.com) wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I'm looking at bootcharts and it seems like first boot preset
> activation takes too much time...
>
> So at the moment, we iterate all units, then iterate through presets
> until we find a match and act upon it.
>
> However, most distros have "disable *" as their last setting, or don't
> use presets at all.
>
> Furthermore looking at a fully featured system (e.g. my ubuntu laptop):
> * 158 files do not have install section
> * 89 have an install secion
>
> Also it seems odd to have all of this in the pid one critical path ->
> e.g. these things are being parsed before anything happens.
>
> Thus I wonder if the presets should be moved into e.g. a generator
> that will do the following on first boot only:

Hmm, generators so far were strictly something that would generate
output in the generator unit paths we pass to them, and nowhere
else. These directories would then be lifecycled by the daemon
runtime, and flushed on daemon reload. The generators would then be
invoked with new, empty generator unit directories on daemon reload.

The preset logic otoh creates persistent changes in /etc, that will
only and exlcusively be run if /etc is unpopulated. They logic is not
rerun on daemon reload, and nothing is ever flushed.

I am pretty sure this should stay that way. We shouldn't turn
generators into more than what they are right now. They should not
have persistent effect.

However, I am all open for optimizing the codepaths here. Maybe we can
cache the preset files in memory or so. And/or we could move the
preset code into its own binary, which we fork off explicitly before
running the generators, and then wait for after the generators (so
that the binary runs in parallel to the generators). Alternatively we
could even run it as thread from PID 1 in parallel to waiting for the
generators, as long as it shares zero state with the rest of PID
1. (That said, I am usually not too fond of threads, and especially
not in PID 1.)

> * parse .preset files
> * construct list of things to enable
> * enable all the units in that list

OK, so this would mean caching the preset file, and then doing pretty
much the same as before? I am fine with that. (But not as a generator,
as mentioned above)

> This should cut I/O and processing time at first boot by a bit, since
> only the units to be activated will be parsed.

Hmm? not following here. are you suggesting to use the preset file
list as base list of units to enable and then search for them in the
file system without ever enumerating unit files in the fs? This will
not really work, as the list contains glob expressions, and more
complicated ones than just "disable *". For examples things like
"enable avahi-daemon.*" which enables both the socket and the service
in one step. But it could also be "enable foo-*.service", for a
project "foo", that has many different services it wants to enable
with a single line... And crazy people could even use more complex
matches...

Hence, I am pretty sure the list of unit files enumerated from disk
needs to be used as basis, and then checked against the preset file,
not the other way round.

One thing you could use for optimizing: a TODO list item has been for
a while to change the first-boot preset logic to operate in a purely
additive way: don't bother with disabling any services then (in most
cases there will be nothing enabled at that time anyway), but only
operate on the "enable" cases. Doing this would allow you to avoid
for their [Install] section then.