On 10/06/15 03:18, Daurnimator wrote:
> example use case, I'm testing a client/server protocol:
>   - the server is running locally; and because it shouldn't be exposed
> to the internet, it is bound to localhost.
>   - I start the client and tell it to connect to $HOSTNAME

Why wouldn't you tell the client to connect to localhost instead?

(Relatedly, on my development laptop I have dnsmasq set up to resolve
[anything].localhost to 127.0.0.1, which means I can even use name-based
virtual hosting in local testing - maybe it would be worthwhile for
systemd-resolved and/or nss-myhostname to behave similarly?)

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>