On Tue, 25.08.15 10:09, Kai Hendry (hen...@webconverger.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, at 08:05 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I'd be careful with things like this... You invoke firefox as PID 1
> > then. On UNIX PID 1 is special, it needs to reap foreign children and
> > needs to handle signals differently, thus taking arbitrary processes
> > and running them like this is problematic.
>
> Then the typical usage from the systemd-nspawn man page:
>
> systemd-nspawn [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND
>
> Is a bit flawed, no?
>
> Not sure what you are suggesting I should do instead. Run as -b and boot
> into systemd first? That is annoying since then I need to login, setup
> DISPLAY env again (not sure why) and then manually run firefox. Wish it
> was one step! :)
>
> http://s.natalian.org/2015-08-25/1440468175_856x1036.png

Well, the focus for nspawn is clearly on virtualizing full OS
userspaces, including an init system. I'd probably use "-b" and then
use "systemd-run -M ... --setenv=DISPLAY=..." to connect to it.

In systemd git you could even use "machinectl shell --setenv=... ...".

> That said running with -n doesn't seem to work without -b since
> systemd-networkd needs to setup the container's networking, no ?

Yeah, with "-n" it's the ob of the code in the container to do network
setup. That can be done with networkd, but any other networking logic
should be fine too, including a script that just invokes "ip"...