On Sun, 06.09.15 18:20, dE (de.tec...@gmail.com) wrote:

On 09/06/2015 06:00 PM, Michael Chapman wrote:
On Sun, 6 Sep 2015, dE wrote:
Hello all!

As per the systemd-journald man page,

It creates and maintains
       structured, indexed journals based on logging information that
is received from a variety of sources:
Simple system log messages, via the libc syslog(3) call
Unfortunately I did not find any configuration parameter to make
systemd-journald listen on a unix/network socket for syslog messages,
making me high suspicious of this claim.

So final question is -- How do you make journald listen for syslog
messages via syslog protocol?
See the systemd-journal-dev-log.socket unit on your system (it's mentioned
in that manpage). This socket is passed to journald when it's started. The
socket unit should be enabled and acive on any standard systemd
installation.

- Michael
Yes, I got that socket (/run/systemd/journal/dev-log).

However /dev/log is not present (it's not made by default) and ss -xnlp does
not list /run/systemd/journal/dev-log or it's corresponding inode as being
listened by any program.

Anyway, thanks for helping out. I've made the /dev/log symlink and now it
works.
If the symlink is missing then something on your system must be
actively deleting it. systemd-journald-dev-log.socket contains
Symlinks=/dev/log to ensure the symlink is created as ĺong as the
socket for it is up.

Lennart

Yeah, that's the problem. That's why I said /dev/log is not present.

For the record I'm using Gentoo. So maybe some build time FEATURE is missing.