Am 03.11.2015 um 20:44 schrieb Paul D. DeRocco:
I have a Yocto embedded system running a simple Samba 4 server, using
systemd. I'm relying on the system hostname being the default netbios
name, and I need to be able to change the hostname, and therefore the
netbios name, from within my main application. I write the new hostname to
/etc/hostname, and also call sethostname(), but in order for the change to
take effect, the nmbd daemon (that is, nmb.service) needs to be restarted.

Since systemd is managing this service, it seems I should be accomplishing
this by telling systemd to restart the service. Is there a documented way
to do this from within a program? There must be some way, since systemctl
does it

and why don't you just call systemctl?

that's even from php scripts with exec() or passthru() a no brainer