On Thu, 26.05.16 12:54, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidj...@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lenn...@poettering.net> wrote:
> > /usr is for the OS vendor really. If your package is a 3rd party
> > package this is probably not a good idea. You could also simply copy
> > them into /etc/systemd/system, which would also work.

> > (Which means: if suse's default fs setup scheme indeed involves
> > splitting off /opt and mounting it explicitly, and they want to
> > support unit files stored in /opt,
>
> You cannot blame them for installing anything in /opt when you
> yourself just stated that they are not allowed installing anything in
> /usr.

It's fine if people install stuff in /opt. But they shouldn't split it
off then. Or they should, but then pre-mount it.

> > then I'd recommend them to do the
> > same for /opt as we require for /usr and mount it from the initrd
> > already).
>
> Where is it going to end?

That's completely up to you, what you want to support.

If you want to split out /opt and not mount it in the initrd, then
that's fine, but then don't place unit files or udev rules, and so on
in them.

If you want to place unit files udev rules, and so on in /opt, then
either don't split it out at all, or do it, but pre-mount it from the
initrd.

You basically have three variables here, it's up to you which combo
you pick.