On 05/26/2016 01:59 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 01:49:07PM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

The thing that makes this all confusing/annoying is that when I was using a
homebrew distro with a 3.10 kernel and sysV init the interface ordering was
completely repeatable on identical hardware, but when I went to CentOS 7
with a 3.10 kernel and systemd the interface ordering became variable.

Try making your own kernel with the needed drivers built-in and the
ordering should start to get semi-predictable, but then it might not be
because the kernel, and userspace, and your hardware, do not make any
guarantees of this AT ALL.

So you really are on your own here, good luck!

Yeah, I get the picture. I traced the kernel code and like even with drivers as builtin we have the possibility of ordering issues when pci_call_probe calls local_pci_probe via a workqueue. We may have just gotten lucky previously.

I want to move to position-based naming eventually, it was just not really a good time.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Chris