On 06/07/2016 10:17 PM, Hebenstreit, Michael wrote:

I understand this usage model cannot be compared to laptops or web servers. But
basically you are saying systemd is not usable for our High Performance
Computing usage case and I might better off by replacing it with sysinitV. I
was hoping for some simpler solution, but if it's not possible then that's
life. Will certainly make an interesting topic at HPC conferences :P

I personally would be interesting comparing your legacy sysv init setup to an systemd one since systemd is widely deployed on embedded devices with minimal build ( systemd, udevd and journald ) where systemd footprint and resource usage has been significantly reduced.

Given that I have pretty much crawled in the entire mud bath that makes up the core/baseOS layer in Fedora ( which RHEL and it's clone derive from ) when I was working on integrating systemd in the distribution I'm also interesting how you plan on making a minimal targeted base image which installs and uses just what you need from that ( dependency ) mess without having to rebuild those components first. ( I would think systemd "tweaking" came after you had solved that problem first along with rebuilding the kernel if your plan is to use just what you need ).

JBG