On 07/06/2016 08:50 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:

I'm not sure how this would work regarding things like g-s-d which you
want in multiple DEs.. perhaps the gnome.target would have to be split
up into gnome-base.target and gnome.target to allow for this use case?
Or perhaps g-s-d could just become bus activated and not need any direct
starting?

It wont and it became pretty clear to me when doing the systemd integration in Fedora that each desktop environment would end up needing it's own ( boot) target and as such they should be labeled by the desktop in question ( gnome.target,lxde.target,kde.target etc ) and graphical.target would be deprecated and or point to an generic abstraction layer for the DM/DE's which the graphical.target would then starts, in which the end users would select which Desktop Environment he wanted to use to solve the above problem you are referring to.

the application that would be started by the graphical desktop would be something along the line of

Choose your desktop

Gnome ( which starts GDM )
LXDE ( which starts LXDE )
KDE ( which starts XDM )
etc..

Basically just display some custom background image with menu entry which allows users to select the desktop environment target to be started System boots --> default.target --> graphical.target ( application started in which user selects for example the Gnome desktop menu entry ) --> gnome.target is started which all type units required to start the desktop manager are part of ( including the gnome-session.target.|||| )

It's questionable if such application should reside in upstream systemd since arguably systemd should have never created the graphical.target to begin with ( if it had not we probably would not be having this discussion since desktop environment targets would have been created instead ).

JBG