The manual page I've got does not say it is, but the implementation does not wait for acknowledgment from the journal. The implementation does not block explicitly, but I think the sendmsg call can block until the receiver queue is empty.

The background for this question is that we have a feature request for a non-blocking logging interface. I wonder if the journal fits this requirement.

I assume that with “non-blocking”, the feature request submitter means that the function does not block indefinitely, say due to a service process outage. Memory allocations can take a fairly long time as well (due to paging), but I think that doesn't count here.

Thanks,
Florian