On 02/19/2017 06:34 AM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
That said... listening only on internal addresses doesn't mean the
connections will be accepted only from internal interfaces -- at least
for IPv4, Linux considers the addresses as belonging to the whole host,
and will still accept connections from any interface. (I tested this
just a while ago.) So changing the listen-addr is not a good security
measure, you *still* need the corresponding firewall rules (filtering by
source IP).

That's a great point.  In my case the internal address is non-routable,
so listening on only that address does add at least some level of
difficulty for a hypothetical attacker.

Always good to remember this counter-intuitive (IMO) behavior.