Am 20.02.2017 um 22:00 schrieb Patrick B:
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.01 Server and just realised some log files are
not being created.

Such as:

    /var/log/kern.log
    /var/log/postgresql/postgresql.log

this is really not a upstream question- maybe your distribution just don#t install anytruing else than journald like Fedora does and then your are responsible at your own to install rsyslog and configure it proper

service postgresql status

    Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output
    is incomplete or unavailable.

    root@master01:/var/log# ls -la postgresql/postgresql-9.2-main.log

    -rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres 0 Feb 20 20:12
    postgresql/postgresql-9.2-main.log

Thinks I've tried:

  * the command journalctl --verify returns all PASS.
  * systemctl restart systemd-journald.service <-- did not solve the
    problem.

that might be a very bad idea - journald is one of that services which are not capable restarts (or at least where not so long ago since i stopped to do so on Fedora)

  * /etc/systemd/journald.conf <-- all default

journald rotates - please look at the manpages

Any ideas? I can't restart postgres process... It is a production server

you don't need to restar the service but you *really* should consult a Ubuntu forum because how your system is configured has not much to do with systemd upstream - maybe the service did not output anything to jouranl/stdout/stderr for a longer time and after some time "Journal has been rotated since unit was started" is just normal