On 3 March 2017 at 20:58, Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 03.03.17 12:34, Daurnimator (q...@daurnimator.com) wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up a centos 7 container with machinectl.
>> I've tried to run:
>>
>> machinectl pull-raw --verify=no
>> http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-1701.raw.tar.gz
>
> Hmm, what is a ".raw.tar.gz" file? That suffix makes no sense to me...

*shrugs* it's what I saw available for download from
http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/

Apparently it's a gziped tar with a single file inside:
CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-20170131_01.raw
This .raw file is a disk image.

>> This downloads the image, but then dies with:
>>
>> File overly large, refusing
>> Failed to retrieve image file. (Wrong URL?)
>> Exiting.
>
> How large is the file?

  - The .gz is 581M
  - The .tar is 8.1G
  - The .raw is 8.0G (8388608 K)

>> Is there some other way I should be doing this?
>
> We support raw disk images and tarballs with OS trees in them, both
> compressed and non-compressed.
>
> There's currently a safety limit against overly large images enforced,
> of 8GiB. If the indicated image is larger than that, and that's
> intended we should probably bump this safety limit substantially (32G?
> 64G?), please file a github issue asking for this if this is the
> case. Or even better prep a PR, the fix is trivial:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/import/pull-job.c#L530

Looks like it's *equal* to the limit.

Before I make a PR here, am I going about running a centos container
with machinectl the best way here?
How are other people doing this?