On Do, 21.09.17 09:35, Jerry Lowry (jlo...@edt.com) wrote:

> Sep 20 14:19:53 jubilee systemd-cryptsetup[501]: Key file /etc/keys is
> world-readable. This is not a good idea!

You should really fix that...

> Sep 20 14:19:53 jubilee systemd-cryptsetup[501]: Set cipher aes, mode
> cbc-essiv:sha256, key size 256 bits for device /dev/sdb.
> Sep 20 14:19:53 jubilee systemd-cryptsetup[501]: *Failed to activate with
> key file '/etc/keys': Invalid argument*

So, this error is returned by the LUKS/DM subsystem. It might have a
number of different reasons, and I can only guess. Quite often this
might be caused by a missing kernel crypto algorithm module for what
you have picked there.

It's usually a much better idea to use LUKS as the algorithms are
encoded in the LUKS header, and thus it's much harder to pick a
configuration that might not match what is available.