Hello,

Sorry if this question is a bit basic for a devel list, I tried asking it in a
ubuntu forum but
didn't get any views, let alone replies.

I have a PC running Mythbuntu which has an LCD which I had a bit of a struggle
getting
going under systemd. However using Type=forking it is now working fine. However
reading the man page for systemd.service is says that it is recommended to use
PIDFile. I
have tried adding PIDFile=/run/LCDd.pid but this causes an error message:-

LCDd.service - LCDd
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/LCDd.service; enabled; vendor preset:
enabled)
   Active: activating (start) since Tue 2018-02-13 09:49:03 GMT; 1min 8s ago
  Process: 2485 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/LCDd -c /home/steve/lcd/LCDd.conf
(code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/LCDd.service
           └─2487 /usr/sbin/LCDd -c /home/steve/lcd/LCDd.conf

Feb 13 09:49:03 mythbuntu systemd[1]: Starting LCDd...
Feb 13 09:49:03 mythbuntu systemd[1]: LCDd.service: PID file /run/LCDd.pid not
readable
(yet?) after start: No such file or directory
steve@mythbuntu:~$

Removing the line PIDFile=/run/LCDd.pid in LCDd.service and all is good.
I have tried creating LCDd.pid in /run with root:root but get the same. How is
the pid file
generated? Am I right in thinking that LCDd is so old that it hasn't been
written with systemd
in mind so does not support PIDFile?

LCDd.service
[Unit]
Description=LCDd
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/run/LCDd.pid
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/LCDd -c /home/steve/lcd/LCDd.conf
TimeoutStopSec=1s
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5
StartLimitInterval=30
StartLimitBurst=5

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

LCDd.conf
## This file was written by cme command.
## You can run 'cme edit lcdproc' to modify this file.
## You may also modify the content of this file with your favorite editor.

[server]
DriverPath=/home/steve/lcd/
Driver=vlsys_m428
NextScreenKey=Right