You can run:

journalctl -b-1 -r

This will show the logs from the last boot (-b-1) in reverse (-r). You can
then scroll down a bit and see what services didn't stop on time.

In addition, during shutdown you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del 8 times within 2
seconds (much easier than it sounds) in order to force the system off.

Side note: if you're using any Flatpak apps, I've noticed that
flatpak-spawn can prevent the system from shutting down.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 2:19 PM Mantas Mikulėnas <graw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:06 PM Evan Klitzke <e...@eklitzke.org> wrote:
>
>> When I power off my laptop, I often (but not always) have a long
>> shutdown process. When this happens, the console says "A stop job is
>> running for User Manager for UID 1000" with a 1m59s timeout, and I have
>> to wait for that timeout before my computer shuts down. How can I debug
>> which service is causing this issue?
>>

> Have debug-shell.service running before poweroff. During the hang, switch
> to tty9 and run:
>
>     sudo -u evan XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 systemctl --user list-jobs
>
> --
> Mantas Mikulėnas

Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura, ryo (supercell/EGOIST), Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else
https://refi64.com/