On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 21:13, Lennart Poettering <lenn...@poettering.net>
wrote:

> On Fr, 24.08.18 14:52, David Weinehall (david.weineh...@linux.intel.com)
> wrote:
>
> > We're having two time/date related issues/questions:
> >
> > First of all we'd need some counterpart to ntpdate.
> >
> > We have a system that lacks an RTC battery--the clock is reasonably
> reliable once the system
> > has booted, but every time the device is restarted it loses system time.
> Due to the use of the
> > machine we cannot allow the ntp server to run (since we need the clock
> to be monotonic).
> > Clock skew is OK, jumps aren't.
> >
> > For this purpose we'd want an equivalent to ntpdate to be able to sync
> the clock once on boot,
> > so we can keep systemd-timesync disabled during runtime.
>
> Such a mode is currently not supported by systemd-timesyncd. That
> said, I figure we could add that though. Please provide a PR... ;-)
>
> I am not sure how big the benefit of this would be in the general
> case, after all it can take arbitrary times until networking is
> available, and thus the difference between "continue running after
> first sync" and "exit after first sync" might be minimal in many
> cases.

I’ve got a follow up here. We want code to run both before and after time
is synchronized the first time. But we -also- need to know how big the
first time jump is.
It’s lokel to be in the matter of weeks or months in our application, and
we’d want to know how much it was lagging.
We start logging measurements before things are connected, and tag them as
unknown, later when we get an application sync on time we can recalculate
to proper dates,( provided we weren’t losing power  for many times before
we get a network sync)

I’d like to be able to get this data from timesyncd as it’d allow us to run
a more “normal” system, but I realize it might not be a feature you wish to
support.