This might be problematic.  What will you do with iscsi devices that support
iscsi offload?  Those are typically completely invisible to the OS and just
appear as another HBA.

On 8/20/19 3:26 PM, Tony Rodriguez wrote:
> I modified systemd-219 functionality to meet a custom requirement for
> detecting filesystems/devices that use iscsi without using the _netdev keyword
> in /etc/fstab.  It is a strict requirement regarding not using _netdev that I
> have no control over.   However,  I am stuck.
>
> From my understanding, src/fstab-generator.c is used to determine LOCAL-FS and
> REMOTE-FS.  I have modified fstab-generator.c to search for iscsi udev devices
> which works, provided the system is already fully booted (typical multi-user
> state type of thing).  I can also find /dev/disk/ block devices including
> iscsi devices using my logic within fstab-generator.c.  The problem is when
> the system reboots, it appears systemd using the same fstab-generator logic
> that I implemented is unable to detect any iscsi devices.  After doing some
> research, it appears normal systemd behavior is to mount  /  and /usr then
> invoke fstab-generator.c to determine if a given filesystem in /etc/fstab
> should be a local or remote target.
>
> The problem is I have no way to tell if a given iscsi filesystem/device
> specified in /etc/fstab (without the _netdev keyord ) is local/remote during
> the booting state.  Mainly because devices are not yet populated in /dev/disk
> or udev.  Is there a way I can determine if a filesystem/mount point/device
> specified in /etc/fstab is local or remote without the _netdev or fstype
> (which handles nfs, etc) keywords within fstab-generator.c? If checking udev
> and /dev/disk are not possible within fstab-generator.c, because such devices
> are not yet populated, then what should I modify within the systemd source so
> I can determine such local/remote targets myself and pass it to
> fstab-generator.c (especially when the system is in that / and /usr mounting
> state and udev devices are not yet populated?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Rick Beldin
HPE Master Technologist, ERT
HPE Pointnext
Tel:  +1 470 2129073  Email: rick.bel...@hpe.com
Physical: 8000 Foothills Blvd. | Roseville, CA 95747 Hewlett Packard Enterprise