On Fr, 29.05.20 08:22, Ulrich Windl (ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> in
> Nachricht
> <24474_1590697505_5ED01E21_24474_24_1_20200528202504.GA118706@gardel-login>:
> > On Do, 28.05.20 15:43, Ulrich Windl (ulrich.wi...@rz.uni‑regensburg.de)
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Monitoring the messages created when booting SLES12 SP5, I noticed these:
> >>
> >> ypbind‑systemd‑pre[1756]: \nError: NIS domain not specified.\n
> >> systemd[1]: ypbind.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
> >> systemd[1]: Failed to start NIS/YP Clients to NIS Domain Binder.
> >> systemd[1]: ypbind.service: Unit entered failed state.
> >> systemd[1]: ypbind.service: Failed with result 'exit‑code'.
> >> systemd[1]: Reached target User and Group Name Lookups.
> >>
> >> The interesting point is that ypbind.service is disabled. So why is
> > ypbind‑systemd‑pre complaining about NIS domain not being set?
> >
> > Maybe ypbind‑systemd‑pre.service has Wants= or Requires= on
> > ybind.service?
>
> Neither, sorry. Or at least I could not find such.
>
> # systemctl status ypbind-systemd-pre
> ● ypbind-systemd-pre.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)

Hmm, maybe ypbind-systemd-pre is simply an ExecStartPre= command of
your ypbind.service?

> # systemctl status ypbind
> ● ypbind.service - NIS/YP Clients to NIS Domain Binder
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ypbind.service; disabled; vendor
> preset: disabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>      Docs: man:ypbind(8)
>
> BTW: Is it a bug that "systemctl show no-such-service" does not signal any
> error (besides maybe ``LoadError=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound "No
> such file or directory"'')?

No, "systemctl show" is supposed to be a relatively low-level command
that shows you what systemd knows. And that can be quite a bit even
for units that aren't properly loaded. That's because other units can
have Wants= or After= or Before= deps on a non-existing unit just fine
(they are weak dependencies after all), and it is interesting to know
what precisely those are. For example, in your case it might be
interesting to do "systemctl show" on the ypbind.service unit to check
the WantedBy=, RequiredBy= deps it has, which tell you which other
units might be causing it to be pulled in.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin