On 26/08/20 12:10 pm, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> You did not post your override.conf file for inspection, so it is hard
> to tell.

True, here it is (/etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service.d/override.conf)

[Service]
ExecStartPre=
ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /run/fail2ban
PIDFile=
PIDFile=/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid

I didn't have the empty 'PIDFile=' line at first, and added it later.
The 'ExecStartPre=' line I did have from the beginning. I wasn't sure if
it was necessary, but from my understanding it wouldn't hurt.

Those were the only two lines that mentioned /var/run/fail2ban; I
figured I should update them in sync.

> Did you remember to do a systemctl daemon-reload after you added your
> override.conf?

I did - that's what triggers the warning in /var/log/syslog (and
presumably the journal, but syslog is what I'm more familiar with).

Cheers,
Richard