It's a general issue with templated unit files; I've had this happen
as well, and could not figure out why the service had failed to start.
It was because I had mistyped the instance name. As best I can tell
systemd doesn't have any mechanism to restrict the instance names
which can be used for a specific unit file, so it can't know that the
requested instance cannot be started.