On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Ulrich Windl wrote:
[...]
> OK, I tried (staring libvirtd.service with --listen and without --timout):
> Feb 09 10:59:23 h18 libvirtd[42540]: --listen parameter not permitted with
> systemd activation sockets, see 'man libvirtd' for further guidance
> Feb 09 10:59:23 h18 systemd[1]: libvirtd.service: Main process exited,
> code=exited, status=6/NOTCONFIGURED
> Feb 09 10:59:23 h18 systemd[1]: Failed to start Virtualization daemon.

That must be because you're still passing through sockets from systemd.

When `libvirtd.service` is started, any active socket units with
`Service=libvirtd.service` will be passed to the service. When libvirt is
started with `--listen`, it checks that no sockets were passed to it.

If you don't want libvirt to be socket-activated, you have to make sure
ALL of libvirt's sockets are stopped. Masking them is a good idea too,
but stopping them is what's important.