Am 19.02.21 um 21:05 schrieb Frank Thommen:

Lennart Poettering <lenn...@poettering.net> hat am 19.02.2021 15:44 geschrieben:

On Fr, 19.02.21 15:12, Frank Thommen (systemd-de...@lists.drosera.ch) wrote:

Dear all,

I am experiencing the issue, that an unprivileged user can kill
root-owned processes by changing a service's PIDFile.

The file referenced by PIDFile= should not be under control of an
unpriv user.

v219 is more than 5 years old. Since then we have tightened controls:

I am aware of this, but unfortunately for the time being we are stuck with this
version (CentOS 7.4)

i yet need to see a real world usecase which needs "PIDFile=" at all - systemd kills everything in the cgroup anyways at stop

i even start mariadb with --pid-file=/dev/null and without "mysqlsafe" for years to get rid of all that shit

not a single service is using "PIDFile=" for years here and frankly i even forked systemd units only to get rid of that nosense from the 1990s