On 14/09/2021 13.36, Lennart Poettering wrote:
Heya!

Some of the systemd developers have been discussing switching
systemd's crypto libraries to be exclusively OpenSSL 3.0, and drop
support for older OpenSSL versions, as well as any GNUTLS/libgcrypt
support. As you might have noticed OpenSSL 3.0 has been released
recently, and for the first time resolves the GPL2 license
incompatibility mess comprehensively, which opens this door to us.

I am not an active developer.  Nonetheless I would second this, provided the use of OpenSSL does not lead to security vulnerabilities in core non-optional system parts on systems built with the systemd project's outputs.

--
Rudd-O
    https://rudd-o.com/