Dear Brian,

Am 19.11.21 um 00:34 schrieb Brian Hutchinson:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 5:48 PM Alvin Šipraga wrote:

On 11/18/21 23:25, Brian Hutchinson wrote:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Alvin Šipraga wrote:

     On 11/18/21 01:20, Brian Hutchinson wrote:

[…]

I don't think that will work either.  eth0 has to be up and stay up or
DSA driver won't work at all.  eth0 has to be up or the slaves can't be
added to the bond.

This use-case is also addressed in the newer kernels (>=5.11), see the
below commit. It is not only when a user port is brought up (as I
summarized it), but rather when it is opened.

commit 9d5ef190e5615a7b63af89f88c4106a5bc127974
Author: Vladimir Oltean <vladimir.olt...@nxp.com>
Date:   Fri Feb 5 15:37:10 2021 +0200

      net: dsa: automatically bring up DSA master when opening user port

[…]

Hmm, looks like I might just have to wait a bit until we can step up to
5.11.  We just stepped up to 5.10.69.  IMX8 Freescale yocto lags a bit.
And too bleeding edge hurts.

Well, I know opinions differ on that, but in this case, it obviously hurt that you use an old Linux kernel, as the problem you have might be already fixed it current Linux kernels.

It’d be great if you verified, that the problem is fixed in Linux 5.15, which is also an LTS series, and then maybe get the commits in questions into the 5.10.x stable series.

[…]

Kind regards,

Paul