On Mi, 09.02.22 22:05, Etienne Champetier (champetier.etie...@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello systemd hackers,
>
> After flashing the firmware of some pcie card I need to power cycle
> the server to finish the flashing process.
> For now I have a simple script in lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ running
> "ipmitool power cycle" but I would like to make sure it runs after
> other scripts like fwupd.shutdown or mdadm.shutdown
>
> Is there any way to have systemd cleanly power cycle my server instead
> of rebooting it ?

What does "power cycle" entail that "reboot" doesnt? i.e. why doesn't
"systemctl reboot" suffice?

/usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ drop-ins are executed before the OS
transitions back into the initrd — the initrd will then detach the
root fs (i.e. undo what it attached at boot) and actually reboot. This
means if your command turns off the power source you should stick it
in the initrd's shutdown logic, and not into
/usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/. If you are using RHEL this means
into dracut. But adding it there is something to better discuss with
the dracut community than here.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin