Hi Lennart,

> Which udevadm command is this from? The udevadm trigger invocation we
> do during boot?

This is a Yocto based build and the boot flow is using an initramfs. After
setting up /sys /proc and other related specifics the initramfs calls

$_UDEV_DAEMON --daemon
udevadm trigger --action=add
udevadm settle

the _UDEV_DAEMON is set to /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd. This seemed to work just
fine before enabling the kconfigs I mentioned in my initial report.

> can you reproduce this if you trigger manually? If you strace, do you
> see where the EIO comes from?

I am generating a build where I can stop inside the initramfs to fiddle around
with this. Using strace might be worth a try which I haven't done just yet.
I'll give these a try and post back.

Thanks a lot for the support here.

BR,
Awais