On 13.6.2022 11.09, Ulrich Windl wrote:
Hi!

Two questions:
1) Why can't I use "systemctl start network" in a chroot environment (e.g. mounting the
system from a rescue medium to fix a defective kernel)? When I try I get: "Running in chroot,
ignoring command 'start'"

From docs/ENVIRONMENT.md:
* `$SYSTEMD_IGNORE_CHROOT=1` — if set, don't check whether being invoked in a `chroot()` environment. This is particularly relevant for systemctl, as it will not alter its behaviour for `chroot()` environments if set. Normally it refrains from talking to PID 1 in such a case; turning most operations such
  as `start` into no-ops.  If that's what's explicitly desired, you might
  consider setting `$SYSTEMD_OFFLINE=1`.

-Topi