On 22/07/2022 11:15, Lennart Poettering wrote:
I guess that would mean holding on to cgroup1 support until EOY 2023
or thereabout?

That does sound OK to me. We can mark it deprecated before though,
i.e. generate warnings, and remove it from docs, as long as the actual
code stays around until then.

You've probably thought of this sort of thing already, but can you wrap all v1-specific code in #ifdefs? Especially if it's inside an if block, the compiler can then optimise the test away if you compile with that set to false.

Upstream can then set the default to false, while continuing to support it, but it will then become more and more a conscious effort on the part of downstream to keep it working.

Once it's visibly bit-rotting you can dump it :-)

Cheers,
Wol