Yuri Kanivetsky wrote on 18/09/2022 13:08:

Also, I've created a simple perl server:

https://gist.github.com/x-yuri/45f53c16a99337ba0716a988290491bd

And if I put perl-server.socket and perl-server.service into
/usr/lib/systemd/user, and symlink perl-server.socket into
/usr/lib/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants, it autoactivates on boot.

The confusing thing though is:

$ systemctl --user is-enabled perl-server.socket
disabled

Unless your per-server.socket unit has an [Install] section that corresponds to the manual symlinks you've made, the is-enabled test will fail.

Ultimately the [Install] section is just instructions to "systemctl [--user] enable|disable" to create/delete these symlinks for you as needed.

These same hints are used by is-enabled to check whether it is enabled. If you don't have the correct [Install] section, it won't know by which route it ultimately becomes enabled if you do the links manually.

Hope that helps explain things.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie