We've hashed this out on the list many times. The two main reasons that our audience is lower now is A) there are very few meets televised any more (at least not when the event actually occurs) and B) they don't show the meet. Instead, you get tape delayed false starts, b.s. fluff pieces that are remnants from the "up close and personal" format. People aren't watching because we can't just showed the meet. Another related item that hurts our cause is rabbited races. A big part of the allure for high school fans is the chance to see good old fashioned honest to gosh racing and you rarely see that on the professional level. I admire records as much as anyone else, but I'd rather see a good close race.

People watch world cup soccer, NHL hockey, and NASCAR races because you get to see the event. What we get however, is a race (or maybe 2-3 false starts) and several commmercials, an interview, several more commercials and rarely do we see any field events or a distance race in it's entirety. Our sport SHOULD have the most mass appeal for any group of viewers because of the diversity of events. You might not like one event area, but you might just watch all of a telecast to get to the event(s) you do like if you could be assured of seeing everything. The networks would have us believe that the average American viewer has such a short attention span that they we don't want to see an entire event and I respectfully disagree. I again reference soccer, hockey, and NASCAR racing to disprove that antiquated notion. Track and Field has very high participatory numbers so I would venture to say that there is a ready made market which would be receptive and supportive of broadcasts in the proper format which is simply SHOW THE MEET! Right now the package is only barely tolerable if viewed with a VCR remote in your hand to fast forward past the myriad of commercials.

I'll be interested to see how the broadcasts of the World Championships go.