Right -- the media referred to that day in 1960 as
"Black Tuesday" -- not only did Norton, the favorite,
finish last in the 100, but high jump favorite John
Thomas finished third in that event behind two
athletes from the USSR, Shavlikadze and Brumel.  And,
in those cold war days, finishing behind the Russians
was considered a major catastrophe.

SGMW