> >As for your blanket suspicions, again they simply undermine interest in
the
> >sport.  Fans are not interested in a sport where it's assumed that many
> >athletes are breaking the rules.  If it's factually known that the
majority
> >of athletes are using drugs and the sport decides to accept that as the
> >norm and is not breaking the rules, then I think that fans will accept
that
> >as "leveling the playing field."

I have to disagree with you there Richard.  Plenty of fans are interested in
American football where it is most assuredly assumed that the athletes are
breaking the rules.  Hell, I assume that most top track athletes are
breaking the rules and it doesn't make me not interested.

I don't know about your second point about what fans will do if the rules
change - I think you are probably right, even though I don't support
legalizing drugs in sport.

- Ed Parrot