-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Marathon World Ranking System
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:29:07 -0600
From: LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

           LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon Chooses Not to Support
                the Proposed World Marathon Ranking System
            London, Berlin and Boston Marathons Share Decision

CHICAGO (November 12, 2003)?The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon, along with
the London, Berlin, and Boston Marathons, has chosen to not support the new
world marathon ranking point system proposed by a major marathon title
sponsor last week.

The Chicago, London, Berlin, and Boston Marathons believe such a ranking
system could raise the profile of the sport, but must be organized and
administered by an independent organization rather than an event title
sponsor.

"We value the importance and critical component of sponsor involvement in
the sport of marathoning and we have worked very hard to get to this level
through the years," said Carey Pinkowski, executive race director for the
LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon.  "Using an independent body is the only way
to fairly and systematically implement such a ranking system.  Furthermore,
this will allow all major marathons to participate without infringing upon
title sponsor's commitments."

Another challenge to this proposed world ranking system is that the
Chicago, London, Berlin, and Boston Marathons were not included in any
preliminary planning discussions.  Each marathon's race director was asked
to make an on-the-spot decision as to their support, involvement, and
participation in the system.

"It was frustrating for me not to have been involved in the development of
this concept or asked to participate in the planning process," added
Pinkowski.  "If all the race directors were involved in the initial
discussions, we could have added more value to the proposed system and
perhaps reached a more favorable outcome for the entire sport, which is
precisely what this world-class sport deserves."

The Chicago, London, Berlin, and Boston Marathons hope with added
discussion a collective decision-making process can be developed that will
allow all major marathons to participate in such a system.  If organized
and implemented properly, a system like this would bring the sport together
throughout the world and be a welcomed advancement.

                                   # # #