http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/rockies/article/0,1713,BDC_2451_2430908,00.html

By Associated Press
November 15, 2003

LONDON â Baseball's policy on steroids is a "complete joke" and an "insult" to the
fight against performance-enhancing drugs, the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency
said Friday.

WADA chairman Dick Pound criticized the testing system and scale of penalties for
steroid use that will start in baseball next March.

He wasn't the only one who thought baseball's rules aren't tough enough.

A New York-based physician who is a member of WADA, Dr. Gary Wadler, called Thursday's
announcement of baseball's test results "probably the blackest day in the history of
sports." Between 5 and 7 percent of anonymous steroid tests among major leaguers came
back positive, triggering a provision in the sport's labor contract that calls for
testing with penalties starting next year.

A first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a second in a
15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.

The punishment would increase to a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a
third positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine of up to $50,000 for a fourth and a
one-year suspension or fine of up to $100,000 for a fifth.

"I think it's an insult to the fight against doping in sport, an insult to the
intelligence of the American public and an insult to the game itself," Pound told The
Associated Press in a telephone interview.

"I think it's a complete and utter joke. You can test positive for steroids five
times, then they think of booting you out for a year? Give me a break. The first time
someone has knowingly cheated and they give you counseling? It's a complete and utter
joke."

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."
Patrick Henry

Sign up for a 6mb FREE email from
http://www.spl.at
Join the buzz, chat with us!