not truly a negative split, but rather the top guys are going to fly that last 200
with a running start, even given their level of fatigue

i'd be surprised if MJ's last 200 wasn't faster than his first 200 for his record

From: "edndana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2004/03/22 Mon PM 04:39:53 EST
To: "\"Athletics\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Negative splits in 4400?

Actually, it is not all that common (it happens, but not in a lot of cases)
to see world records set with anything other than a very slight negative
split even in a distance race.

As for the 400, I have wondered myself whether there is a physiological
reason to go out fast, because one might instinctively think otherwise.  I
don't know the answer.  800's are generally run almost the same way.

- Ed