-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Kurt Bray
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 1:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: WARNING - NOT-YET-TELEVISED RESULTS DISCUSSED

>(Remember the tie in the 50m free in swimming? They only time to the
>100th now, ignoring thousandths. If they did that in track, we'd have
>lots of ties, and Oba would have a bronze medal.)

They used to time to thousandths in swimming until it was pointed out to
them that, at swimming speeds, 1/1000th of a second does not represent very
much distance.  In fact it was less than the tolerance to which they could
construct pools.  Thus, one swimmer's lane could be several thousandths of a
second shorter or longer than another's and hence timing to 1/1000ths was
meaningless and unfair.

Kurt Bray