The following article is from this week's Testosterone Magazine at

http://www.testosterone.net/html/124tc.html

It is understood that a similar interview in next week's magazine will
contain even more explosive information.

Reprinted with permission
________________

Rocket Scientist

An interview with Charlie Francis

by Chris Shugart

On September 24th 1988, the world held its breath for 9.79 seconds. It was
the Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea and Ben Johnson had just become the
fastest human being on earth.

He reacted to the gun in 0.132 seconds and had taken three blazing steps by
0.8 seconds. Moving at five strides per second, Johnson reached a top speed
of 30 MPH. At 94 meters, knowing he had won the gold and already ahead of
his arch rival Carl Lewis by six feet, Ben raised his hand in the air in
victory. Despite the fact that this caused him to lose form and decelerate
drastically, he still shocked the world with the fastest time ever recorded.
Ben's coach, since the age of 15, was Charlie Francis.

Later, the 26-year-old sprinter told reporters that he had eased off at the
end of the race, saying that he could have run a 9.75, but he was "saving
that for next year." You know the rest of the story. Ben tested positive for
steroids. His medal and his record were stripped, he and Charlie Francis
were painted the biggest cheats in Olympic history, and there would be no
next year.

Charlie Francis has been called the greatest living coach in the world and a
brain surgeon among sprint coaches. But he's also been dubbed a scoundrel
and a "drug pusher to children" by newspapers who are blissfully unaware of
what goes on behind the scenes in the world of elite sports. You see,
today's top athletes have a choice: Use or lose.

Given that the Olympics are going on right now, it seemed timely to sit down
and talk to Charlie Francis about this topic and many more.

T: You were ranked the number five sprinter in the world in 1971 and
competed in the '72 Olympics. Does being an athlete yourself make you a
better coach?

CF: I think it helps. I was a slow learner as an athlete; I didn't have
perfect technique right out of the box. I had to learn it. Knowing how I had
to learn it myself helped me to teach. Coaches, to some degree, have to be
frustrated jocks.

T: Do you miss competing yourself?

CF: Once I started coaching, it really knocked the competing aspects of my
career right out of the picture. I've run into people who were athletes in
my era and they still talk about the good old days. I've never really
thought about it. I've moved on to something better.

T: Can good coaching be taught to any extent?

CF: Absolutely. You wouldn't let a plumber loose in your house without him
having trained under supervision. Yet we have coaches who sent away for a
mail order course or get classified as a level four or whatever just because
they passed an exam. There's a program in Canada that says, "Doesn't your
child deserve a certified coach?" Then you see the work that these idiots
do! I think the word is certifiable, not "certified." They take a good
concept and turn it into crap.

T: You were very critical of organized athletics in Canada in your book
Speed Trap, calling it a bureaucracy at its worst. Anything changed?

CF: Yes, it's worse now.

T: We like to joke at T-mag that the scientists administering the drugs to
the Olympic athletes need gold medals of their own. Are there any clean
athletes left at the Olympic level in sprinting?

CF: When I testified at the Dubin Inquiry all those years ago, the
information I had was that the number of athletes using performance
enhancing drugs, at the Olympic level, was about 80%. The IAAF secretary,
John Holt, said that my charges were "wildly exaggerated" and said his
research showed it was only 30 to 40%, which he obviously considered to be
acceptable. Whether it's 30, 40, 50, or 100% is immaterial. The dividing
line is not left and right, with the drug free on one side and the dirty
cheats on the other. It's divided horizontally with those above the line on
the drugs and those below, perhaps being clean.

T: So would it be fair to say that only the losers are clean?

CF: If anyone is clean, it's going to be the losers. The irony becomes that
in order for an athlete to be an anti-doping advocate he must be, as a
general rule, on drugs! How else would he rise to such a level of prominence
so that he would have a platform from which to speak?

T: Supposedly, they're testing for EPO this year on the Olympics. What do
you think of that?

CF: Well, they've made a huge story about this implying that it will clean
up the Olympic Games. First of all, they've completely glossed over the fact
that they have no test for growth hormone, insulin, IGF-1, L-dopa, nerve
stimulating hormone, nootropics, and on down the list. But they get a test
for EPO and lo and behold, this will cure everything. What they failed to
mention is there are two different tests and you must fail them both. One
has a retrospectivity of, at most, four days. The peak reached by EPO after
injection is five days. So the only people who will be suffering from this
are those that have multiple events that require the blood boosting. So in
order to be optimal they would need to top it up somewhere through the meet
and they can be grabbed at any time.

T: So they could potentially be dropping off later in the competition?

CF: Well, there's another drug which has now supplanted EPO called Hemopure,
which is pure hemoglobin and can be supplemented. There's no test for that.
So athletes have already found a way around the EPO test before they've even
introduced it, at least at the highest level.

T: So the athletes are going to stay ahead of the game regardless, right?

CF: Well, the top people will. What officials want is to clean it up at the
bottom and leave it dirty at the top.

T: You wrote about that in your book. You said they'll bust the nobodies so
that it will look like proper testing is taking place, but the star athletes
who attract the money are often protected.

CF: Exactly. And they'll know who the stars will be so they'll know where to
concentrate the money and the advertising. The same people will win over and
over again because the normal process, the distribution of results, will not
be there.

T: Would the average person out there watching the Olympics on TV be really
shocked if they knew what all went on behind the scenes?

CF: Yes, but only here in North America. In Europe, of course, they all know
because they grew up in an athletic environment and participated in it in
school. The irony is that once you really know the total scope of the
doping, then rather than thinking that all is not as it appears, you realize
that everything is at it appears. First is first, second is second etc…

T: That makes sense given that everyone is using something. Now, at the end
of Speed Trap, you provided a number of theories as to why Ben tested
positive for stanozolol in Seoul. Have you come to any conclusions since
then?

CF: We know more now than we did at the time the book was written. Pure
stanozolol was found in Ben's urine. This is not possible. Stanozolol is the
control agent used in all labs. They set up all the equipment and calibrate
it using stanozolol, so they have it there. Now, in order to have pure
stanozolol in the urine sample, it can't have been conjugated by the body,
and the body breaks it down within 45 minutes of administration. Yet pure
stanozolol was found in Ben's urine.
Note: This may be confusing to some readers not familiar with this case. Ben
Johnson, like every other top athlete in his sport, did use steroids as part
of his training. However, he had not taken that particular drug for some
time and was well beyond the accepted clearance time.

T: So in short, you think it was sabotage.

CF: Absolutely. Sabotage occurring at the lab level. In the time frame
necessary, the drug will break down in the body or in the sample bottle, and
the bottle is sealed. However, if the machine is tampered with, then
anything going into it will be contaminated by what's already present in the
machine controlled at the lab. Furthermore, when the sample was re-tested
three months later, pure stanozolol was found again. If it had been tampered
with at the lab level, then in order to generate the same results the same
method would have to be used because the sample itself is sealed. When it's
opened, people are watching, so whatever is happening must have already been
done inside the machine.

T: So what were the politics behind the sabotage? Who did this to Ben in
your opinion?

CF: I can't talk about that. It's gets into too much potential libel.
Suffice it to say, that enough things came out after the Games that it was
clear that not only were they after Ben in Seoul, but that an attempt was
orchestrated to get him in Rome. In fact, a dealer was phoned by a meet
organizer to purchase 300 stanozolol tablets in my name for Ben Johnson.
I've never met this guy in my life and I wouldn't know him if I tripped over
him! Ben doesn't know him either. Clearly, a trail was being established to
this particular drug for use later.

T: The director of America's anti-doping program, Dr. Wade Exum, has quit
and filed suit against the USOC because he says the US Olympic Committee
encourages athletes to take performance enhancing drugs. Is this a "Duh!"
situation?

CF: Obviously. Nobody needs to enhance or encourage drug use. You just set
the standards and see who comes to the table.

T: You've pointed out that the standards are set so high that clean athletes
don't stand a chance. Yet the standard setters then take a moralistic stance
against performance enhancing drug use.

CF: The testimony at the Dubin Inquiry is clear: no one knew of any example
of a shot putter who ever threw 20 meters clean. The standard for getting on
the Canadian Olympic team in 1988 was 20.50! This was commented on in the
Dubin Report as proof of encouraging drug use. The response by the Canadian
Olympic Association was to raise the standards for the 1992 games to 20.85!
Then they said they were glad they ignored the Dubin Report because, and I
quote, "Excellence is still the goal of the Canadian Olympic Association."

T: So how do we fix the doping problem in the Olympics? You've written
something before about allowing drug use, but not to the point where the
athlete begins to compromise his health.

CF: The philosophy is simple. If athletes are doped to the point where their
own hormonal production is significantly disrupted, then they should be
reined in. Offenses should be punished with suspensions, three months for
the first offense and on up from there. The emphasis, however, would be on
protecting the athletes, not punishing them. I don't see any other
possibility because you have a situation where you have a choice to either
break the rules or lose. The drug testers have a vested interest in this
whole sport. They want to pick out the sacrificial lambs and screw them,
while letting everyone else walk free even though they know they're all
dirty. They do this precisely to keep their jobs. If they cleaned it all up
they'd be out of work. And they're making a lot of money. This guy Wade Exum
sure has a big mouth now, but of course he was glad to get all the money
from his job before. Then when they don't want to promote him and give him
more, he starts talking. They're all happy to take the dough, but when they
don't get the promotion they think they deserve, they want to squeal. They
knew all along, and if they knew, who else knew?Then you have the
organizers. They don't want to clean it up. It's the same thing; they want
to have a few sacrificial lambs. It enhances the unfairness of the entire
procedure because it singles out certain individuals for certain treatment.

T: In Speed Trap, you said there were always positive tests but that the
powers that be "took care of them" before they came to light.

CF: Well, it's like in 1984 when the name list with all the extra positives
was "stolen" from a locked safe in the locked hotel room.

T: Didn't something similar happen in Helsinki?

CF: The story is there were 50 positives, so many that all of them were
thrown out.

T: Yeah, I guess they'd have to leave some athletes intact for the public to
adore. Is that why China pulled so many athletes out of the Games this year?

CF: They knew they weren't going to clear in time for the Games so China
kept them out. This is exactly what the Russians and everyone else used to
do, only in those days they just said they were injured. The East Germans
and the Russians used to bring ships to the meets and park them in the
harbor. They would test their athletes right then and there. I told them
this at the Dubin Inquiry and they said I was a liar. Then later it came out
that the East Germans, after the Olympics in Montreal, had dumped all the
stuff in the Montreal harbor. The only comment from the IOC was, oh, gee,
they shouldn't have dumped it in the harbor!

T: Sprinters are born and not made. You say that's a myth. Why?

CF: Well, nobody just comes out of the box and performs at gold medal level.
It just doesn't happen by chance anymore. Everybody is a creation of a
program, of training, of systems, etc. A minimum of five to eight years of
correct training is required before an athlete's potential becomes apparent.
But, you cannot make a silk purse out of a cow's ear. Without the talent,
nothing will help, and no drug will help. Not only that, the more talented
you are the more the drugs will help. This is because you have more receptor
sites at the muscle level to receive the drug. If you have less receptor
sites, meaning you basically have less talent, it takes more of the drug to
stimulate what receptor sites you have to a reasonable level.

T: You said before that the Olympics are actually a bad time to try to break
a record. Do you see any records falling this year?

CF: It can be done. Seoul was a special circumstance because we had an
excellent warm-up facility. And although it was cold in the morning, by the
time the competition came up it was okay. I don't expect that to be the case
in Sydney. I expect there to be headwinds and I expect it to be cold. It
would be almost like having a meet in New York at the end of April.

T: Why do think it took so long for someone like Maurice Greene to match
Ben's time?

CF: First of all, it depends on whether he matched it or not. Ben shut down
before he finished his race. It's called "slicing the bologna thin." If you
can break your record more often you'll pick up your bonus money every time
you do it at $300,000 a pop. If Ben had run through the line he'd have gone
9.72.

T: Did Greene's 9.79 have anything to do with the new "springy tracks"?

CF: Yes, they've sped up the tracks. The IWAF, which is the sport governing
body for track and field, set criteria for competition sites. The frequency
of the tracks was to run between 28 and 80, 28 being very hard and 80 being
very soft. 80 would be something like what Munich was: it was so soft people
were even falling down. Seoul would have been about a 34. These days they're
going right outside of the specifications to try to speed up the tracks. In
Tokyo, the track was a 13 and in Los Angeles it was an 11. In other words,
fuck the distance runners! So the long distances runners are getting stress
fractures, but the sprinters are running faster. They've done everything to
make conditions better for the sprinters.

T: Are they catering to the sprinters because it's the most marketable
event?

CF: Yes, because it's the most marketable event and because they want to
erase Ben Johnson's time. They want to get him out of there.

T: Many people still refer to Ben as the fastest human on earth. Could he
have gone even faster? What was he capable of?

CF: All those athletes in all those races — at least until 1996 — would
never have beaten him. He would have still been there. It's very clear that
had he run in Tokyo with that harder surface, he'd have broken his own
record. He would have ran a 9.72 simply running through instead of raising
his hands at the end. Add in the hard surface and we could have seen a 9.69.
He slowed down and raised his hand at the end because, obviously, he wasn't
anticipating that to be the last race he ever ran.

T: We've heard of sprinters performing a three rep max in a certain lift,
like a stiff leg deadlift, and then being able to perform better 10 minutes
later.

CF: Yeah, I've heard all that. They're claiming Ben did this.

T: Is there anything to this?

CF: No. Well, you'd have to warm-up to warm-up to warm-up… The reason people
are lifting now before the sprinting — and it's usually divided by many
hours — is because of the popularity of insulin. They get up in the morning,
they do their heavy lifts, then they'll shoot insulin and then immediately
load up with carbs. About six hours later they're getting a spike in the
fuel at the cell level, and then they'll come out for their speed work
afterward. The upside is, it maximizes the drug. The downside is, once
you've done the lift, you're already committed to that level of output.
Meaning that your strength may suffer if you're off at all. We always lifted
after sprinting because it was the number one priority and everything else
had to be adjusted accordingly.

T: If an athlete hits a personal best, you usually stop the workout,
regardless of what's left on the paper. Why is that?

CF: Well, it's dangerous. The time people get hurt is the next session after
they've had a tremendous performance.

T: Because they're trying to top themselves?

CF: Not just because they're psyched up and trying to beat their PR, but
because their bodies haven't recovered from it. With very heavy weights it
can take ten to twelve days to get over a maximal lift, same thing in
sprinting. There's a huge difference between 95 and 100% performance. So
instead of the 100 meters in 10 flat, it becomes 10.45 or 10.50. The
difference in output and effort is unbelievable. Even though it's in the
95th percentile and qualifies as high intensity work, it's a joke. Keep in
mind this only applies at the highest levels. If a kid gets a personal best,
so what? We're talking about world record levels.

T: Is everyone finally catching on to the importance of recovery?

CF: Yes. Just remember the tapering cycle has been altered significantly
because of the different drugs. In our day, you went off your drugs prior to
competition so there was more of a taper. Today, they stay on the drugs
right through competition. Because of growth hormone, IGF, etc. they're
still on the drugs at the meets, which was not the case before. This
requires a tremendous amount of physical therapy. I mean, these people are
being worked on day and night.

T: Are there any legal supplements out there that you like?

CF: There's a lot of things out there that are very good, the problem is in
how much and when. Creatine can be very helpful and very harmful. For
example, jetlag can cause an athlete to lose fluid out of the muscles and
into the tissue surrounding it. By taking creatine you can bring the fluid
back to its normal levels inside the muscle cells and allow the proper
transfer of nutrients across the cell membranes to speed recovery. You'll
also have more fuel available for the activity. The downside is if you pump
too much fluid in there you decrease the ability of the muscle to move over
itself because it's too pumped up. Then you're at risk of injury. So there's
a very fine balance, as in all things.

T: What about creatine loading?

CF: I would never be in favor of a loading phase. It would be an unnecessary
and dangerous thing to do. You put it in there and the body will use what it
has, then you can gradually step it up if necessary. You want to adjust
everything as finely as possible and not take the sledgehammer approach.

T: You mostly use a high intensity, low volume of work. Do you ever get into
the higher rep ranges?

CF: Oh certainly. Ben at one point was doing ten sets of ten. Of course, in
injury phases we'd use higher reps, but we'd taper down later.

T: Do you ever prescribe any specific calf work?

CF: Not especially, no. Sprinters do so many drills it's not often
necessary.

T: There's a trend toward testing strength with triples instead of maximal
singles. Why is that?

CF: The reason for that is once an athlete gets to a certain level of
strength, you'd almost never be working at singles because it's too
dangerous. Ben never worked with singles, certainly not in the lower body.
Why take the risk?

T: In your book, The Charlie Francis Training System, there's a picture of
Mark McKoy benching 315. The caption reads, "This is an indication of the
upper body strength required to be a 10.19 second 100-meter sprinter and the
number three hurdler in the world in 1987." Can you clarify that? Does a
person need to bench a certain amount to be a contender?

CF: It's not a formula that says, you've got to be able to bench this and
squat that. What it means is that high-quality performances are the result
of high-quality training. There's nobody who can go out there, for example
and say, "Oh, I want to beat Michael Johnson in the 400, well, I'll just go
do what he does." Look, if you can't beat him in the race, you can't do his
workouts! It would take years to build up to those things, so who cares what
he does in his workout? You can't do it, so don't worry about it!

T: What type of stretching do you normally prescribe to your sprinters?

CF: When an athlete is very loose and muscles are in good form, then things
are a little more ballistic before speed work. This used to be frowned on in
the US, I know, but ballistic stretching has it's place provided the athlete
is loose. Static stretching and when you're trying to increase the range
should be at the end of the workout. Not only is this the safest time to do
that type of stretching, but it also speeds up recovery. You can shorten
your recovery by up to four hours by stretching everything out at the end of
the session. That's the time to go for increased range.

T: Your training book has a whole chapter on Electronic Muscle Stimulation
or EMS. I've always been leery of these devices because of the ads that say,
"Rock hard abs without exercise!" and similar dribble. But they do have
their uses, right?

CF: Yes. Everyone goes, "Oh, it really isn't exercise; it's nonsense." My
response is, have you tried it? If they say no, then I'd suggest they strap
one on, crank it up and find out! Athletes aren't pulsing it on their
tummies to take the bulge down like you see on the commercials. These guys
are sticking a leather strap in their teeth and cranking it up until the
fibers are sticking out of their skin. After that you feel like you've been
riding a bicycle up the side of a mountain! It's particularly helpful when
you're injured because when one muscle group is compromised you can still
work everything else.

T: Thanks for talking with T-mag, Charlie.

CF: Sure, thank you.

Shot-putter Augie Wolf once said, "An athlete asks himself, 'Do I take drugs
and win medals, or do I play fair and finish last?" Perhaps it's time we
face the fact that most of our sports heroes wouldn't be heroes without a
little extra pharmacological help to go along with the talent, hard work,
and excellent coaching. Perhaps it's time we accepted the fact that the only
difference between Ben Johnson and another gold medal winner is that one was
caught, while the other was not.

The difference between the cheats and the heroes is often finite, the line
blurred and fuzzy. In elite competition, there are many criminals, many
heroes, and one outstanding martyr who will never be recognized as the
fastest man alive, although he was for many years. And perhaps the biggest
criminals aren't the singled out drug users, but those in the silent
majority that have since taken home medals belonging to Ben Johnson and
Charlie Francis.

Perhaps it's time we ended the silence.

Charlie Francis is the author of several books, among them "Speed Trap",
"The Charlie Francis Training System", and "Training for Speed".