Y ask Y:

John Cosgrove of the Southern California Association of USATF shares this
memo with me. He sent it to Craig Masback in early February 2000. Cosgrove is
toying with the idea of running for USATF Masters chairman.

The memo is prefaced by some explanatory comments:

Cosgrove writes:

This articulates many of the elements of my vision and the (masters)
Invitational races are actually elements in the overall plan. As you probably
know, Dee Jensen is USATF 1st VP and Bob is the newly retired UCLA head
coach. The ideas really flow from experiences I had trying to build a
business out of the Mammoth Athletics Camp (MAC) in the late '80's. The video
is from that. I learned the hard way about T&F business realities. MAC still
exists but now provides fitness services for companies as a separate division
in my consulting company. It is run by Deanne Gutowski Schlobohm who is the
women's coach at CSDH and a former WC 800M competitor out of UCLA. The club
concept grew from my experience with the Boston Running Club (Fred Tressler)
when I was in Boston. It really works and they
are important players in our program (they have put on the M IC's for several
years now) and run many championship events. He is also the head of Fila
running promotions.

I met with Craig last December along with Bob Larsen and Dee Jensen (she set
up the meeting). I outlined verbally the rough contents of this and Craig
asked me to write it up. It was vetted by Bob, Dee, both Masters
Chairs, Chuck D., and many others. Since then I have had strong encouragement
from other players such as Payton Jordan and John Smith. I spoke to Craig at
Eugene and he is still interested but had to clear his plate from Sydney
first.

We (Bob Larsen & I) have since had some feelers from
possible sponsors. I recently received some emails from Carol McLatchie
concerning one of those sponsorships in connection with Mammoth Mountain as a
training venue. I am hoping to get visibility for Mammoth in return for
corporate support for an athletic organization headed up by Bob. Both Bob and
I have had meetings with the CEO of Mammoth along these lines. Carol tasked
Ryan
Lamppa and the Honickmans to follow up on this.

Currently, Ryan is reviewing a video from me and is in contact with Bob as we
speak. Masters will definitely
be part of this in conjunction with a unified club. Fred Tressler has also
been involved because he organizes the Fila sponsorships for the training
venues.

The memo:

Craig A. Masback
CEO USATF
P.O. Box 120
Indianapolis, In 46206

Dear Craig:

When you, Dee Jensen, Bob Larsen and myself met at the USATF Annual
Convention in Los Angeles, you asked if I would summarize the ideas that we
discussed.  Apologizing for the delay, I have now done that, along with some
additional thoughts. Bob and Dee have reviewed this write-up and have
contributed their ideas to this proposal. Scott Davis, SCA President, has
been kept abreast of our work and has contributed to and actively supported
many of these ideas for years in many ways. Both Scott and Ken Weinbel have
also reviewed this writing and have encouraged us to submit it for your
consideration. Other interested parties have also reviewed it, and provided
many improvements and strong encouragement.

You may recall that we mentioned that this is really an additional means of
responding to Pat Rico's and your talks at the Wednesday Opening session.
Both of you identified the fact that our sport has a greater level of
participation with the entire US population - youth, elite and recreational
adult/master - than any other sport. Both of you challenged us to find means
to build on the existing state of affairs to restore Athletics to its
rightful place among the many other national sports. Our sport has long been
proud of the fact that only we can claim that our sport is " ... for all,
for life." This simple fact should be the foundation of our ascendancy.

We are borrowing from well-proven concepts of European track clubs and a few
successful versions here in the US. You have created the "Track in a Box" as
a template-starting package for new programs. We propose an extension to
that idea -- "Track Club in a Box".

We feel that this structure should apply to a number of associations in the
country. Of course, we would like to try it in the Southern California
Association, but this shouldn't keep others from trying it as well. We have
discussed these ideas with some other associations, and they have expressed
interest and may want to move forward as well -- if a consensus can be
reached.

Once a consensus on the concept is reached, a promotional program that taps
into the broad-based (i.e., combined youth, elite and adult), larger
population could be crafted.

This broad-based promotional program might be attractive to sponsors who are
less interested in the elite program alone. Our experience with the existing
sponsorship for the Senior Sports programs has shown that to be true. There
is no reason why the elite program wouldn't benefit as well, because it
would also be part of a larger base. Of course, its role would be to
provide, as always, the "sizzle" for the larger base of participants. A side
benefit of this broader base would also likely be to attract this new larger
membership as spectators at all levels.

Thank you for your interest and support. Please feel free to contact any of
us, if you would like anything further. We will be making copies of these
concepts available, for discussion, to our colleagues in USATF who have
requested them, and have been a source of many of these thoughts. We are all
awaiting your review and comments relative to this proposal.

Sincerely,

John Cosgrove               Bob Larsen
SCA Masters T&F/LDR     SCA Mens LDR

CC:
Jerry Crockett, Chair - Masters LDR
Scott Davis, President SCA
Dee Jensen, First VP
Ken Weinbel, Chair -- Masters T&F

Summary
In order to restore Athletics to its rightful place in American life, we
must tap into the huge pool of athletics participants in the US by
establishing an updated club concept. This will draw on our unequalled
strengths in broad-based participation at all ages - youth, elite and
recreational adult/masters to enhance our sport for all of these groups. "A
Sport for all, for life" is not only a motto, it is reality. This fact is
the means to accomplish this restoration.

Background - Need for an Updated Club Concept
Despite the fact that Athletics has more current participants nationwide
when compared to any other sport, our programs - whether youth, elite or
adult/masters - have had difficulty attracting financial and organizational
support. Additionally, the spectator base for our elite program has
struggled for success, while the European circuits have remained viable and
have attracted our professional elites overseas.
Strength in Youth & Adult Not Reflected in Elite Program
The unparalleled strength in the youth and recreational adult/masters
participation has not contributed to support and recognition for our elite
program. Even the highly popular youth and adult programs have not found a
means to foster strong, long-lasting organizations in the majority of
associations. Clubs serving these groups - with notable exceptions - seem to
flourish while their founders are still active, but do not have an
organizational structure, which provides succession and permanence.
Additionally, the elite program doesn't have a consistent support structure
for the developing athletes. New ideas in club structures must solve both
the unserved needs of the youth programs, adults and also the elites - both
developing and premier.
Broad Based Sponsorship Requires Larger Member Base
The fact that all segments of our sport are not served adequately - at least
for very long - supplies the key to a solution. If our club concept was
built on the broad base of our participants, rather than specialized clubs
serving a smaller segment, a critical mass could be achieved which would
benefit all of the interest groups.

Given a larger member base, many things become possible.
*   Sufficient finances are available for paid staff, thus making
ambitious athletic goals feasible.
*   Professional staffs present a more attractive organization to
potential sponsors and advertisers.
*   Larger numbers over wide population groups will attract new types of
support since we will be representing very attractive demographics to
organizations less interested in elites alone.
Few Clubs Continue to Prosper
Clubs serving a narrow interest group are usually dependent on volunteers
alone. The club will prosper as long as these volunteers remain available,
but is vulnerable to the presence of a few key individuals. Eventually,
conditions change and replacements are not able to maintain the original
vigor of the program. The authors can cite first hand experience with some
of the finest masters and youth programs that have shown this to be true.
Even though new clubs spring up, continuity vital to a high quality program
is lost, and many promising athletes at all levels are lost in the process.
Other Professional Sports Draw Larger Spectator Support
This concept cannot hope to cure the declining base of Athletics spectator
support, but it can help. If the broad based club were in operation, members
would have a reason to identify with their members who were competing and be
more likely to support the event - be it youth, elite or masters. Actually,
we have been introducing showcase events for youth and masters in the elite
meets, and meet directors have found the events popular and have asked for
more. This is one of many examples in which a broad based strategy benefits
all of the individual groups.

Concept Overview
These ideas are in an early stage with many important questions remain
unresolved. This concept overview hopes to attract significant input to
solve its many shortcomings.
Establish Minimum Size
The first rule is to agree that a minimum size must be a critical objective.
Different areas of the country will support a different number as this
minimum, but the minimum must financially support a paid administrator
(newsletter editor, etc.) and ideally, a full time president. This minimum
size also serves as the basis for advertisers and sponsorship support. As
size and revenues increase, the coaches must be paid to professionally serve
the diverse groups.
Serve Diverse Groups
The broader the population, the easier it is to achieve the numbers
necessary. A broad-based club offers specialized programs for each of the
groups, while also offering a sense of belonging to a group which is larger
than the narrow interest. The newsletter covers all of the interests with
workouts and training made attractive to these diverse interests. The basic
administrative overheads of the newsletter, club hot line, training
schedules, sponsor coordination, etc., and are shared by all of the groups.
*   Youth
*   Elite
*   Recreational Adult
*   Masters - Competitive & Recreational
Serve Diverse Interests
*   Road Runners
*   MD/LD Track
*   Sprinters
*   Field Events
*   Race/Fitness Walkers
*   Others - Tri-Athletes, Trail/Ultra, etc.
Business Structure for Paid Staff
The athletic objectives are not possible - over the long term - unless a
clear business plan is established which will provide the revenues to pay
some staff and cover the expenses of running a club. The plan should include
both near and long term goals. For instance, a paid administrator is needed
to publish the newsletter and maintain the club's administrative details
such as communicating the workout and event schedules, updating the
hot-line, answering inquiries, etc. This is an immediate goal. Longer term
goals would be paid coaches for each interest group, office equipment
upgrades, full time staffers for obtaining (and maintaining) sponsors, a
full-time president, etc.

Paid President
Some clubs may never achieve the goal of having a full-time, paid president
because their athletic community is not sufficiently large. However, most
clubs in major metropolitan areas will find it difficult to maintain a
professional operation without a full time president. However, full time or
not, a paid president is vital. Once this is achieved, the most important
characteristic of club longevity is present, namely a means to provide for a
qualified successor for the critical leadership. Some of the obvious duties
of a president are listed below.
*   Organizes Athletics Program
*   Source of Vision & Leadership
*   Establishes Athletics Programs
*   Selects/Organizes Specialty Coaches
*   Organizes & Supervises Administrative Operations
*   Develops needed support operations - newsletter, hot line, venues,
etc.
*   Chairs club board and member meetings
*   Organizes support committees
*   Promotes/Maintains Sponsorships
*   Provides Continuity for Sponsors
*   Maintains Vitality of Relationships
*   Ensures Benefits Delivered to Sponsors
One Paid Administrator Minimum
Most clubs suffer from total dependence on volunteers for critical
activities. This ranges from late and inadequate newsletters to lack of
follow-up on membership inquiries. If a paid staffer performs this, then
predictable performance can be required - or a replacement can be hired. The
usual result is that the athletics staff is forced to do the administration
- and the athletics program suffers! Examples of duties of the administrator
are listed below.
*   Produce Quality Newsletter
*   Organize Social Functions
*   Maintain Hot-Line/Workout Schedules
*   Follow-up on Inquiries
*   Pay Bills, Maintain Records
Paid Specialty Coaches
A broad-based club must serve diverse needs and one or two coaches can
seldom do this. As soon as feasible, the coaching duties must be divided in
order to provide good support to the various needs of the members. Some
clubs have found highly qualified part-time coaches from retired school
coaches or young up-and-coming professional teacher/coaches seeking to
augment their income and experience.
*   Part-Time OK
*   Retired professionals seldom want to quit entirely but do not want
any administrative obligations.
*   Specialty coaches can often be found from the ranks of Masters
members who are still active competitors - a side benefit of the broad-based
club.
*   Serve Diverse Groups & Interests
*   Potential members can be added if specialty groups can be served
within the club framework. Examples include race walkers, triathletes,
wilderness runners, field eventers, etc.
*   A beginners program is the most important service the club can offer
the community - an enjoyable pathway to fitness. A favorite with sponsors,
it should serve all ages and levels.
Organize for Independence from Founders
It is vital that the club structure enables longevity and continuity. This
requires a clear structure and leadership remuneration at a level to ensure
qualified successors. This enables timely replacement for turnover of key
staff members.

Paid President to Ensure Succession
The most important of these is the club President. Even if the position is
not full time, the President maintains the overall health of the
organization in its service to the membership. Significant gaps in this
position make the club like a rudderless ship and the very existence of the
club is at risk. Important coaching positions and a skilled administrator
are also vital, with timely replacement essential.

Predictable Point Of Contact
The key staff members establish the outside image of the club. Members and
sponsors deserve a dependable, professional staff. There should always be
clear points of contact whenever needs arise or problems need attention.
Long term relationships are particularly important to sponsors who are
rightfully concerned that a positive effect will result from being
identified with the club.

Dual Profit/Not-for-Profit Entities
Since establishing a viable, long lasting organization is vital to
delivering the Athletics benefits, a fresh approach is necessary. An unusual
structure has been associated with some successful clubs - even though it
exists in different forms. Basically, it consists of a dual structure - one
for the athletics side and the other for the business side. Each is best
suited for its responsibilities and neither compromises its role to serve
the other functions. In at least one case, this structure operates as two
separate corporations - for-profit/not-for-profit. This is summarized as
follows:

For-Profit Entity
Manages Business Issues
Establish Professional Operation - Ensures Staff Dependability
*   Employer of paid staff
*   Manages most of the money; e.g., Dues, Advertising, etc.
*   Newsletter Editors & Reporters
*   Newsletter Production/Advertising
*   Public Relations
*   Sponsor Relations
*   Contracts with not-for-profit side for services (e.g., coaching)
Allows Financial Strength
*   Facilitates income from related operations; e.g., race management,
accessories sales, etc.

Not-For-Profit Entity
Has its own elective governing board

Provides Athletics Excellence at All Levels
*   Obtains staff services from for-profit entity.
*   Maintains Quality for Both Recreational & Elite

Can receive contributions, grants, etc.

Avoid Total Dependence on Volunteers
*   Difficult to Maintain Accountability
*   Volunteers Should Augment Paid Staff

Successful Examples
Boston Running Club
*   Uses dual profit/not-for-profit structure
*   Full time paid staff and several part time specialty coaches
*   Membership of several hundred at two levels - social/full athletic
*   Includes specialty groups - sprinters, triathalon, etc., in addition
to LDR/XC
*   Provides specialized beginners coaching for newcomers at all levels
*   All ages included from youth - elite - adult - masters
HSI
*   Primarily an elite club with strong developmental athletes as well
*   Separates business and athletics roles but ensures that goals of
both entities are compatible
*   Strong club spirit, particularly noteworthy in the super-elite
members

Other Examples
Southern California Striders
The writer has personal experience as past president and loyal Strider,
desires a return to past glories but is not optimistic without major
changes.
Strongest Masters Club in SCA
*   Dwindling membership
*   Members Average Age Currently 60+
*   Current President is non-SCA (San Diego) resident
*   All Volunteer
*   Considering a paid newsletter editor
*   Included Elite Athletes in the Past
Other SCA Masters Clubs Are Weaker
Corona del Mar
LA Valley